Just a few more quotes from Kev.
For the record, my dad is aware that I keep this list on my phone. He loves it. He’s constantly requesting that I read out the quotes when we have company over. It’s like he thinks he’s funny or something.
1. When reading the bill at dinner without his glasses: “Can’t read shit. Looks good.” *Takes out credit card*. When my mom asked if he wanted to know the total: “No. It looks like a big number…”
2. When telling us about when my mom moved in: “It took her six months to stop asking if she could have a cookie.”
3. When discussing childhood: “I didn’t have friends. I had dogs.”
4. While drumming on the steering wheel: “You know I’m all about the bass, ’bout the bass, no trouble.”
5. When I told my parents I went to the Panda Game with my friends and they didn’t believe me: “You went to a football game and it wasn’t a date… Right… Because I remember all the times we watched the Super Bowl together…”
6. When discussing me moving in April: “You have until April to get a boyfriend. I need the guy to help me move your furniture.”
7. While I was borrowing my grandmother’s car for the winter: “Jenna, part of having the car is washing it when you can no longer see out of the windows. I just called to tell you that.”
8. In the background while I’m on the phone with my mom: “Tell her to do the assignment she’s procrastinating right now!”
9. When Melissa was talking about her discussion with her students about who does more cooking in their families: “Did you tell them our kitchen is closed until Christmas?”
10. When he sent a text with a picture of my mom at the stove: “Yes, it is Laurie.”
11. In response to my mom saying he messed up banking: “I don’t really know what your problems are and frankly, I don’t care.”
12. While teaching him to play a simple family domino game, Mexican Train: “You guys are pissing me off with these f***ing rules.”
13. When talking about the separate lounge area they bought into on a cruise: “Well Gen Pop is too crowded.”
14. My mom goes by Laurie. Legally, her name is Laura, which is what is on her cruise ID. When back at home after vacation: “I like Laura. Laura really likes Rye and Cokes. Laura’s more fun.”
15. When I told him I hit a savings goal I had set: “Okay good. Lend me some cash so I can keep Princess Laurie in the lifestyle she is accustomed to. She is becoming high maintenance.”
16. My siblings and I have a shared data plan. My brother chews up almost all of it well before the bill renews on the 10th of each month. When I sent him a message saying, “It’s not even November and Matt has blown through 2.5 GB”: “Yes dear.” No further comment…
17. Back to the private lounge area on the cruise. It’s called Vibe. Only 60 spots are available and it’s first come, first served. He sent me this from the ship: “We are out of Gen Pop. I pushed my way into first in line.” He takes this shit seriously. Just to emphasize that point, here’s a picture of him on a recent vacation where he and my mom were the first people to make it through check in. That tag he’s holding says ‘Group 1’. Please note that NO ONE ELSE IS THERE YET.
18. The time he sent me a text when they were almost late to the cruise port because of traffic and would have missed Vibe: “Almost didn’t get it. I was scared. The idiot cab driver did not take the tunnel like I told him to. I actually made the cab pull over and took my luggage out and started walking from downtown Miami. Your mom was freaking.”
19. In case you haven’t yet clued in, my parents really like cruising. On their latest vacation, they went sailboat racing. In front of everyone on board when the boat was rocking back and forth: “Laurie, don’t fall overboard! Who’s going to do the laundry!?”
20. And the best one: “Are you going to add that to your list…?”